The focus of this role is to work on the operations and infrastructure that support our Simply Hosting and Servers business unit (www.simplyhosting.com), a leading provider of Dedicated, Virtual, and Cloud services, Data Centre and Infrastructure management and ISP grade internet connectivity, at our state of the art facility in Reading.
Job Title: Systems Administrator
Reporting to: Data Centre Systems Manager
Working as part of a dedicated and enthusiastic team, on a day to-day basis you will be responsible for developing and maintaining systems and network infrastructure for the large ISP network of Simply Hosting and Servers. This includes making sure that all services are optimised to work efficiently, and critical services are available 100% of the time. Another important part of the role is to liaise with other departments within the company such as the Development teams and Network Operations Centre, in order to help resolve issues and identify areas that require improvement.
The successful candidate will be helping to maintain and enhance systems that support a multi-vendor ISP networking environment. In addition, the candidate will have an excellent knowledge of Linux systems administration including experience with configuring and maintaining typical packages required to support an ISP environment. These packages are including but not limited to DNS, LDAP, RADIUS, MySQL, Apache. The candidate will also have experience working with configuration management software. revision control, and continuous integration software.
You should also be able to collaborate with different teams and business units from the international brands as and when needed. In the performance of your duties, you will be expected to use your best endeavors to promote and maintain the interests and reputation of the Company at all times as well as acting as a role model for all Advisors and Specialists.
We are looking for an individual who is a problem solver and passionate about carving themselves a role with a broad range of skills.
Years of experience are of course preferred but not essential - someone who can demonstrate an interest in all aspects of systems, networking, coding and how everything fits together, and has the right attitude is what we need.
Some of the responsibilities will include:
- Systems administration of primarily Linux based internal server support infrastructure
- Maintaining good cabling, patching, power wiring etc. within the datacentre environment
- Documentation of existing and new deployments
- Supporting existing core ISP network, providing access to several thousand servers across multiple data centre locations
- Shared out-of-hours emergency on-call support on a rota basis
- Demonstrate expert knowledge of the systems and processes
- Act as referral point to help staff resolve queries and problems
- Resolve escalation issues from other departments via internal issue trackers and ticketing systems
- Develop new products or services that would help the company to be more successful
- Suggest and implement new approaches and architectural improvements
Required Skills & Experience
- Systems Administration experience based on Linux (Debian/Ubuntu/CentOS)
- Experience with configuration management (puppet, Chef etc.)
- Experience with revision control systems (Subversion, git etc.)
- Server installation automation (TFTP/PXE/DHCP/Kickstart/Anaconda/Debconf)
- Apache web servers
- Basic IPv4 routing/switching principles, CIDR and subnetting, Vlans
- DNS servers and administration
- Creative problem solving abilities
- Clear written and verbal skills
- Excellent Project Management skills
The following skills would be advantageous, but are not required:
- ISP routing/switching knowledge of BGP, OSPF,VRRP, HSRP, LAG/LACP, OSI model.
- LDAP and Radius services
- IPv6 technologies
- Experience of multiple network vendors, e.g. Cisco, Juniper, Extreme
- Basic languages skills: perl, PHP, Python, Bash, others helpful
- Delivering business results § Team working
- Self motivation
- Attention to detail
- Making good decisions
- Bringing innovation to problem solving
Normal Working Hours
Your usual hours of work will be from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday to Friday inclusive, however these may be subject to alteration in accordance with the dictates of the business. You are entitled to a one hour lunch break, which is normally to be taken between 12:00 noon and 2:00 p.m. Depending on shift and cover patterns this may have to be taken at other convenient times.Apply Now