Lead Web Developer, PHP & Python
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and experienced DevOps Engineer to join our Web Development and Network Infrastructure team at our flagship Reading Data Centre.
Job Title: Lead Web Developer, PHP & Python
Salary: Dependent on skills and experience
Reporting to: Scrum Product Owner
Your usual hours of work will be from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday to Friday inclusive, however these may be subject to alteration in accordance with the dictates of the business. You are entitled to a one hour lunch break, which is normally to be taken between 12:00 noon and 2:00 p.m. Depending on shift and cover patterns this may have to be taken at other convenient times.
An opportunity has arisen for a Lead Developer to join our team in our Reading Data Centre. The successful applicant will have an enthusiastic attitude for their work with significant commercial experience in creating secure, high-performance web applications and internal systems.
After many years of sustained growth, both organically and through acquisitions, Namesco is entering a new phase of expansion. The company is now keen to improve existing systems and extend its product range, providing the opportunity for many exciting development projects.
The role requires a good general understanding of Internet technologies and their underlying protocols, such as HTTP, SMTP and DNS. PHP, Python and MySQL applications form the core of all of Namesco's systems and are used to manage the email, web hosting and server infrastructures. You will use your experience in PHP and Python programming to create systems that integrate, automate and control our network, data centre, web portal, billing, reseller and back office infrastructure, exposing those systems to internal and external customers via our API and contributing to its development. Working with sensitive and business critical data requires a thorough understanding of security and data integrity issues on the Internet.
Experience of Agile software development is desirable, working in our team of web developers you will take on the lead developer role to keep the team focused, reach consensus and take a key role in defining the direction, architecture and structure of our systems, leading the team to reach it’s objectives to the highest level. To this end you should practice and demonstrate your stills as a responsible, committed and influential individual.
- Enthusiasm and a desire to learn
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate advanced concepts well
- Attention to detail
- Good team player
- Ability to work in a fast moving environment and to tight deadlines
Required skills & Experience
- Strong experience of PHP, Python and MySQL
- Good understanding of the principles of Object Orientated Programming
- Good understanding of security issues on the internet
- Good understanding of internet protocols
- Ability to produce highly scalable and distributed systems
- MVC Applications
- Web Services (Soap or RESTful)
- NoSQL databases
- Messaging queues (RabbitMQ or other)
- Experience with revision system (CVS/SVN/GIT)
- Agile Software Development with Scrum
- Yii/Zend/Laravel or similar Framework knowledge
- DOM Scripting
- PHP Tools (PHPUnit and XDebug)
- CentOS/RedHat & Debian Linux administration
- IPv4/IPv6 and base networking
- Server installation automation (TFTP/PXE/Kickstart/Anaconda/Debconf)
Some of the responsibilities will include:
- Support and develop our automated server installation environment.
- Support and develop existing internal applications for customer management, billing and server management portals.
- Expose our systems via API to internal and external customers.
- Integrate our systems with our network and data centre infrastructure.
- Coaching and mentoring our team of web developers.
- Working closely with our system administrators to provision and develop internal server infrastructure.
- Documentation of existing and new deployments
- Shared out-of-hours emergency on-call support on a rota basis
- Demonstrate expert knowledge of the systems and processes
- Act as referral point to help staff resolve queries and problems
- Resolve escalation issues from other departments via internal issue trackers and ticketing systems
- Develop new products or services that would help the company be more successful
- Suggest and implement new approaches and architectural improvements